Saturday, January 31, 2015

January 30 x 30 Challenge...Reflections

January 30 x 30 Challenge...Reflections

First thanks to Leslie Seata for making this all possible.... thanks to all the participants  ... seeing so much varied art work each day is awesome as well as inspiring.  Also thanks to Sea Dean for her art party!!!!

Decided to make 2 final collages...one for my references and one for the paintings !
Hope you all enjoyed  a brief  visit to my favorite spa. 
Posting the collages for those not interested in my bla bla ranting...


click to enlarge

References
click to enlarge

Here we are at the end of our January  30 paintings in 30 days.. This is the third 30 in 30 that I have taken part in.  In each one I learned a little more about my self and my habits and my goals.

Why am I doing this challenge
Can't put it better than Leslie:  The challenge is not about finishing 30 gallery quality "perfect" paintings. It's about getting in to the studio to try new things. It's about painting more often. It's about having fun and developing new habits! 
What am I learning
  • Organization  this is key since as we are not only painting but scanning/photographing and blogging
  • How to use my reference material .. cropping/editing/fiddling
  • Learning more about my media... in this case my wax pastels
  • Excepting my limitations and building on them 
Where am I headed
  • More creativity
  • Learning more about what I want to say and how to say it
Who give a Sh......
  • I do!!!!
This month's challenge I chose to work in one type of format... Heavy brown paper... It was my second choice... wanted to work on heavy grey cardboard but local art store was out of stock. I also decided on the size 20 x 20 except for # 1 which was panoramic. Decided to work with a dry medium Neocolor wax pastels and pencils adding medium or not.  I chose a general theme my favorite spa Hamei Yoav which allowed me a wide amount of subject matter.






15 comments:

Martine Paquet said...

Congratulations, Carol !
Your work and technic is verry lively and interesting!

Rolina Koz said...

A very successful body of work - well done!

Carol Edan said...

Thank you very much your comments are appreciated

Carol Edan said...

Thank you very much.... glad you enjoyed my work!!

Meredith Adler said...

They look awesome all together! It has been a joy to see them every morning! Congratulations, dear Carol! And feel free to make a collage out of mine if you want (kidding :-)

Pattie Wall said...

How unique to share your source photos as well - although I will take a painted image over a photo - any day! What great color Carol - nice paintings!

Carol Edan said...

Thanks Meredith!!!! No problem at all and NOT Kidding.... :)

Carol Edan said...

Thanks Pattie.... First time I made a collage for the references... Yes painting over photo any day!!!

Sheila Delgado said...

Great to see all of your references too! Congratulations on a terrific month, your style really shines thru!

Carol Edan said...

Thanks!!! It really has been a fabulous month!!!

Carol Edan said...

Thanks really appreciate your feedback!!!

Otilia Kocsis said...

Wonderful series of paintings!!! Congratulations on the challenge!

Carol Edan said...

Thank you for your feedback!!!!

Denise Cerro said...

Carol...through our exchange of comments I visited your blog. I love your reflections on the 30/30, especially adding in your references...brilliant! I've signed on to follow you along. As far as the burlap painting...I'm sure stretching your own will be fine, just make sure to prime and I think you'll enjoy it even more! Looking forward to see what you come up with!

Carol Edan said...

Thanks for your feedback... and for following along.... will look for some burlap and experiment!!!