Friday, January 16, 2015

January 30 x 30 Challenge # 16 A Snooze

January 30 x 30 Challenge  # 16 A Snooze

Here we are in the second half of the Leslie's 30 in 30 challenge. Some of Leslie's quotes in her post really hit home. So I have posted them here.
 Painting daily is becoming more of a habit than a task. More fun than stressful. 
I don't care if every painting isn't perfect. This month is all about the journey. The destination will come. But I never guessed the journey would be so much fun! 
Yes I am having fun even though I know that the paintings/sketches are NOT perfect... I have learned so much about these wax pastels in these 2 weeks than the years that I have been using them for sketches.... I am becoming more organized so that I have less stress and more fun!!! Yes painting/sketching is My Journey!!!

Well here is one of those NOT so perfect ones.   I am still having trouble photographing in public especially strangers... this was shot from afar, smartphone capture, that I cropped.  She/he looks awkward and in the photo as well.... have to do some practice in figures foreshortened.....so in the spirit of!!!!!

20 x 20 Heavy brown paper....Neocolor I wax pastels plus pencils.  I have started to sketch with some Rembrandt polycolor pencils that are oiled based and work well with the wax crayons.



4 comments:

Sea Dean said...

I would love to take an oil pastel class. I can't use soft pastels because of the dust but I've always loved the look of pastel.

If you would like suggestions, I would say that it may be easier to foreshorten if you concentrate on negative space while blocking in the shape. Another idea is to make things larger in the foreground, surprisingly larger. All you have to do to see this is hold up your hand near your face and then focus on the size of the objects behind, a whole person could fit in the palm of your hand. You're almost there.

Carol Edan said...

Thank you so much for your suggestions..Much appreciated!!!. These are not like your regular OP'S or children's wax crayons... they are much harder... http://www.dickblick.com/products/caran-dache-neocolor-i-wax-pastels/ They are really fun to use....
Thanks for the suggestion for foreshortening... I think I will tackle this reference again....

Meredith Adler said...

Really like your composition, and I have to say I love the execution of this, just love seeing those individual strokes you get with your materials. It's going to be fun to see you branching out with colored pencils. That's how I do it, too. Just shoot as if it's the whole place that interests me, then crop later...!!

Carol Edan said...

Thanks Meredith... I am learning so much about handling the materials.... the pencils will be used for outlines and small details..sometimes covered over....Next time we go I'll not be lazy and use my canon camera so I will have enough pixels to crop with...