Thursday, May 14, 2020

Art-itude

What's on my desk and easel. My bedside table is one great mess. pamphlets, Lily's medications, random writing tools, toilet paper (for tissues), tablet, remotes, clock, even my pot of cold wax medium. Everything and the kitchen sink.  Took a photo but ashamed to even post it. My desk is almost the same.... small table easel, wipes, real tissues palette, stapler, pens, earphones, mouse, you get the picture. On the small easel my latest work.

Joan gave us a new set of prompts she called Art-itude.  A way of maybe expressing what we all are going through. She first told us to write down words that describe our days, which of course I didn't do.... my ongoing battle for words that don't seem to come. Then a new list of prompts. In the end, she asks us to photograph our work and try to write about our work. Another word problem! But, today I decided to sit myself down and tackle this "word thing" obstacle.

I Will Follow My Dreams
Acrylics on cartridge paper 14" x 19.5" 


Some of the words Joan wrote helped me describe my work.... connection, expansiveness, pathways, strength, and new dreams.

The main yellow figure like shape is almost in the middle, dividing the work into two main sections, one lighter and one darker. The figure has a light echo in the lighter area and seems to be coming out of a circle with many circles of bubble-like shapes. These could be thoughts and feelings. She is rising to new heights strengthened by the black and white verticals. I feel there is a sense of survival to this figure that maybe a new strength! 

The composition has two main sections, dark and light, monochromatic, and with color. In the dark section is also divided into squarish sections opposite the lighter area that has a thin vertical rectangle and a rising subtle balloon shape  The balloon may symbolize rising hope!

A Syrian artist, Khaled Hussein, uses this symbol in his wonderful work describing the horrors his homeland is suffering. 





No comments: