Wednesday, April 29, 2020

A Coat of Many Colors

ג  וְיִשְׂרָאֵל, אָהַב אֶת-יוֹסֵף מִכָּל-בָּנָיו--כִּי-בֶן-זְקֻנִים הוּא, לוֹ; וְעָשָׂה לוֹ, כְּתֹנֶת פַּסִּים.
3 Now Israel loved Joseph more than all his children, because he was the son of his old age; and he made him a coat of many colours.

This painting started not with Joseph's coat in mind, and I doubt that his coat looked anything like these interwoven stripes, but somehow it got stuck in my mind after the painting was finished.


As you all know I am a bit obsessive when it comes to tutorials and online lessons. I have taken many classes and I think I could spend more than a year just re-taking them. This started with a free lesson given at  Jeanne Oliver , A Guiding Word taught by Rae Missigman.  I experimented with a way of putting down paint by squirting paint on the top in varying widths and dragging it down with a scraper, palette knife or whatever to cover the substrate. Don't know if this is now free but she does have about 35 Free classes online at this time. Of course, I went every which way!

WIP
Acrylics on brown paper
13.5" x 19.5"

This sat around for quite a while and then I saw a great tutorial by Jane Davies about stripes on paper bags. Brown paper,yes, stripes, my interpretation! 

Coat of Many Colors
Acrylics on brown paper
13.5" x 19.5"

Wish I had a rug like this!

Interested click here





No comments: