Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Cookie's Album

Most every summer I would go to the Workman's Circle children's camp. They had an adult camp and a children's camp. This was an association that my grandfather belonged to.  I had a nickname, Cookie!

Each month we are given a topic to develop at home and bring in for a critique. Today was the day!
The topic was to try to paint/draw not in the style of but more to get inside their head. I decided to try to draw not as me but me as a child of about 10. I really didn't connect with Cookie, and I felt that instead of her doing the drawing, I was drawing her in scenes of my childhood. Even so, I got good reviews. I am NOT going to give up on trying to reach Cookie.

Reuven does not use the Hebrew word Bikoret (critique) but the word Bikor (visit) both built on the same root. It is not whether it is good or bad but rather the process which is important.

8.5 x 11" Pages
Canson Sketch Pad 90gm
Children's crayons
Click on the link to get to the slideshow
if you only get the cover image
click on this to get to the album and I think
you can view as a slideshow


It was amazing how in almost every case we could tell who the "real" artist was. I learned a lot about myself and very little about that child on the cover. Reuven mentioned an Israeli artist that also painted in a child-like fashion. Meira Shemesh.

Next month, a work based on mythology, of our choice but related to our lives today. Have to give that a lot of thought.



No comments: