Thursday, August 23, 2018

Summer Sadna the Best

Incredible! These past two months of extended workshop classes were just that, incredible! I learned more in these months than in the 10 months of our regular workshop classes. Conclusion, we need more directional instruction.

July was Oils, for me back to the basics, for others an introduction.  August, mixed media month, using unconventional materials, collage, and assemblage, was a mind opener, even for me as I use collage and various mediums a lot.

I loved the mid time critiques that sometimes overflowed to the end of class! 

Critique Line-Up

This week we were to work in collage. But, before we start we were to write down our intentions or concept. 
 Collage
Homework - write a short text on a free subject that interests you (identity, family, nature, or something more specific like a portrait, car, etc.) that has an idea of duality or more, Then write why it will be the exact subject and right for you to create it in collage
The purpose of writing - to refine and clarify the thought
Remember thoughts are words
When I think of collage I generally think in abstract terms, usually color, shapes, and forms, lines, and textures. Sometimes I start with painting shapes and colors and then adding collage pieces and sometimes I start with pasting collage pieces and then painting. I don't generally start with a specific concept, but had this thought of Jail as maybe a starting idea.
What is a jail?
Physically and mentally? Do we make our own jails?  Can we break out of them?
What color is jail? Black, no light no hope desperate? A feeling of great loneliness!
I often find myself in this place.

"Loneliness is a complex and usually unpleasant emotional response to isolation. Loneliness typically includes anxious feelings about a lack of connection or communication with other beings, both in the present and extending into the future. As such, loneliness can be felt even when surrounded by other people."

Word associations:
Out of control, prison, jail, confinement, gaol, penitentiary, lockup, dungeon, solitary confinement,
imprison, incarcerate,  put away, immure, prohibit, ban, forbid, arrest, bar, mental block

WIP
19.75 x 13.75 "
Gessoed paper with Sienna layer
For this, I have to put on my "Dotty" hat

The next group I made starts in acrylic paint on watercolor paper to start my collage

Behind the Veil
13.75 x 13.75 "
Acrylic Collage Wax Crayons

Am I Dreaming
13.75 x 13.75 "
Acrylic Collage Wax Crayons


Next week our last session and Brachot* for the New Year! Continuing with our concepts using everything under the sun, mixing mediums like acrylic and oils, paints and crayons or pencil. Anything goes. Best to start to work at home.  I will be continuing with the starts I made


 Bracha is a blessing or benediction recited at specific times during services and rituals. ... A Bracha can also be said when someone experiences something that makes them feel like uttering a blessing, such as seeing a beautiful mountain range or celebrating the birth of a child.






No comments: