Saturday, September 5, 2020

Diving off the High Board

Getting out of messes is really what it's all about, problem solving. Stan Kurth

I was first introduced to Stan Kurth through Jen Jovan and immediately fell in love with his work.  At the time he only did one to one workshops so since living in Israel it was sort off limits for me. Well, the pandemic changed a lot of things and Stan has gone online and I took part in his first one-day workshop The Intuitive Sketch .

For me, it was like diving off the high board. Mainly because of the medium that I have shied away from, watercolor and gouache, and penwork. But I was so surprised when working that it was almost like working with oils. Yes a strange comparison I know, but this medium kept that paints alive and not dead like with acrylics. Even the paints in the palette can be used. And watercolor is so portable and making small compositions can be done almost anywhere. WIN-WIN!
I may even challenge myself to a 100-day challenge. I bought some gouache tubes more than 5 years ago, and my watercolor set a year and a half. It's about time they got some use! Always fun with new/old toys


Peek a Boo I See You
8" x 8"  FSC Organic paper 350gm
Water-soluble pen  watercolor  gouache

This was sent in for critique. He liked the balance and the color gradations. Made a point of the strong line element. One suggestion was to lighten the top area above the bird's head.



WIP
8" x 8"  FSC Organic paper 350gm
Water-soluble pen  watercolor  gouache  Chinese Pen

WIP
8" x 8"  FSC Organic paper 350gm
Water-soluble pen  watercolor  gouache

I learned that I have to rely on my instincts and be bolder even when treading in new territory!






No comments: