Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Bad Recipe

First real workday at the workshop with our new mentor Reuven Tishrey.  Back to oils, YAY, love their texture, smell, how they mix and spread. I will continue acrylic with my Gelli-printing at home, and oils in the workshop.  I am also going to work larger, at least larger for me.

WIP I
19.5" x  27/5"
Oils on cut canvas
Cold Wax  Collage

Critique: The composition is too formulated. He wants me to try to make it seem to be on the edge of collapsing. 

How do you make a painting seem to collapse I ask myself?  Getting uncomfortable! 
I think I know the exact time I should have stopped painting. I was getting thoughts that I was going all around the place. Decided, guess my left brain took over and started to make marks to the more negative spaces, and echo colors. Also, the layout of the collage pieces were too balanced. One of the good things about oils and cold wax is that I can take off the pieces and move them around and change their shape/size.

WIP II
19.5" x  27/5"
Oils on cut canvas
Cold Wax  Collage

Changed orientation, moved some pieces around added a new piece. I removed the black piece above the script on the bottom. This image is not exact, it's a simulation done using PS. Thinking of putting in a shocking color to upset the apple cart! Shocking pink or turquoise? Welcome any thoughts and suggestions., The two parallel stripes on the left top are too similar. I have a week to view and live with it.

It was so great to be back with all my artist friends!








No comments: